As an Amazon Associate, BestThisForThat earns from qualifying purchases.
The Samsung Galaxy S9+ is one of the best smartphones of 2018 according to well respected reviewers like CNET, ZDNet and DigitalTrends to name just a few. It features a second rear camera that enables enhanced portrait photos. Samsung states that the S9 and S9+ models share the fastest download speeds of any smartphone. If you’re in a hurry, here are 3 of our top picks for S9+ cases. We breakdown each case below and a few others to help you find the right one for you.
A Few Quick Notes
In case you didn’t know, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ are different. The S9+ is slightly larger than the S9 so the cases are not interchangeable. The features also differ so if you want to compare, check out the Highlights and Specs pages at the Galaxy S9/S9+ site for more details.
One more thing, S9+ is the phone’s official name but it is frequently called the “S9 Plus” on the Internet. A little confusing since Apple names some of their iPhone models “Plus”. Just something to keep in mind. For a look at cases for the Galaxy S9, check out our reviews.
This phone just made its debut in spring 2018, but there are already a number of great Samsung Galaxy S9+ case designs available. So if you’re planning on picking up one or have already perhaps placed your order, grab yourself an awesome case from the following top picks!
- Safeguards your smartphone with dual-layer protection and impact resistant TPU bumpers that absorb shock and deflect impact
- Built-in screen protector that assures touch sensitivity
- Several color options
- Rotatable hands-free belt clip holster included
- Winner of CNET’s ‘Best Case Scenario’ drop test at CES 2018 (see video below)
- ruggged protection but not bulky
- entire screen still visible with case on
- holster an added bonus
- protects from falls as advertised
- buyers frequently choose this case over the Otterbox Defender due to price deferential and because the Defender does not include a screen protector
The built in screen protector is the source of frequent complaints, even among buyers who really like the case otherwise. Complaints include:
- the protector scratches easily and is a fingerprint magnet
- the protector’s plastic material creates a rainbow effect that obscures the screen
- dirt and dust makes its way into the case, requiring removal of the case to clean
- buyers unhappy with the protector said they either purchased a different protector separately or just didn’t use the one included
The case provides great drop protection and stands up to lot of punishment. A great case for protecting your expensive smartphone. You may find that the screen protector is not suited for your needs. In that case, you might want to invest in a better quality one such as the Dome Glass Screen Protector by Whitestone or select from other tempered glass screen protectors that are on the market.
- shock absorbing bumpers
- dual layer protection of TPU with hard PC back
- supports wireless charging
- attractive wave inspired pattern on case
- built-in lanyard hole
- comfortable grip
- multiple color options
- stylish looks, vibrant color
- fits the phone very well
- adding a screen protector not a problem
- has lanyard hole (does not come with a lanyard)
- buyers report case has protected phone from drops
- Number one complaint – a slippery case. The upper rubber portion of the back does provide better grip than the hard plastic lower back of the case
- wavy back design prevents addition of a ring holder or a PopSocket
- As with other cases of similar design, the case doesn’t offer full screen protection
- A few reports of color scratching off the back
A beautiful case (notably the Metallic Purple, Coastal Blue) with a unique wave design makes this a desirable addition to your S9+. Only notable drawback is the slippery case. If being slippery is not a good match for your hands or if you are prone to drops already, take a look at some of the other cases that offer a better grip. Otherwise, the Ringke Wave has a great aesthetic look and you’ll likely be pleased with it. Explore the color options – some really nice looks to choose from. A case like this doesn’t offer the kind of protection that an Otterbox Defender or Unicorn Beetle PRO would – but it is a nice combination of protection and sleek style that deserves consideration.
- Dual-layered construction offers protection against impact and scratches
- Certified Military grade drop protection of the corners with Air Cushion® Technology
- Slim, pocket-friendly design
- Hands-free viewing with reinforced kick-stand
- Charge wirelessly with case
- Multiple color options
- Tough Armor – built for extreme, made for adventure
- Spigen has a lot of fans out there who are loyal to the brand. Those who like this case, which is a the large majority of buyers, really like it.
- A durable, reliable case which is what keeps buyers coming back to Spigen
- A common complaint is that case doesn’t cover the edges leaving the screen exposed on the sides. To provide more protection, consider adding a screen protector
- Kickstand is flimsy and only allows for viewing in landscape position. Kickstand doesn’t lock in place
- Case material is slippery
The Tough Armor is a good looking case with some nice color options. If you enjoy using a kickstand for catching a movie, this case might be the one for you even if the kickstand is a little lacking. The case design protects against drops and you can add screen protection for some extra peace of mind.
- Dual layer design provides rugged protection for your phone
- Military grade drop tested
- Built-in kickstand for portrait and landscape viewing
- Screen protector incorporated into front of case
- Buyers like the screen protector though many say it is less than ideal – see Cons below
- Kickstand enables portrait and landscape viewing
- Buttons work well with case on
- A durable, sturdy case that is well constructed and fits the phone nicely
- Has a good grip and is not bulky
- A good value for the money
- The biggest complaint is that the screen protector scratches way too easily and doesn’t offer the protection that glass would
The kickstand is a well liked feature that comes in handy but it is the screen protector that gets the most attention – both positive and negative. The protection it gives the screen should be weighed against its lack of quality which results in scratches even with gentle usage.
- Clear hybrid design
- Crystal clear back preserves the original look of the phone
- Single layer protection combines rigid back and flexible bumpers
- Corners protected with Air Cushion® Technology to absorb shock from impacts
- Charge wirelessly with case
- Other color options besides clear
- A light, thin case that fits the phone well and provides a good grip
- Clear case shows off the beauty of the S9+
- Enables you to add a screen protector such as Dome Glass by Whitestone, Spigen NeoFlex or Tech Armor Ballistic Glass
- A favorite of Spigen loyalists
- The clear back is a fingerprint magnet
- Back of case scratches easily
- Sides not protected due to curved screen edge. Suggest adding screen protector
- Some say the case is slippery
Most fans of Spigen cases will like this option and will certainly appreciate the way the clear case shows off the color of the S9+ itself. Although the case protrudes enough at the top and bottom to offer some protection for a drop face down, you may want to consider a screen protector. There is some disappointment with the back of the case because it is prone to getting scratched. However, most buyers are happy with the case and are loyal to the Spigen brand. If you like Spigen, we suggest you also take a look at the Tough Armor case shown above.
- slim design with heavy duty, dual layer protection
- ultra durable, shock resistant case with TPU sleeve and PC shell
- raised bumper to protect screen when placed screen down
- drop tested
- several color options – the lilac purple case is especially a favorite match to the lilac purple phone
- numerous users report phone survived drops
- good grip – slides in and out of pocket easily
- nice looking and fits the S9+ great
- slim, thin not bulky
- good cutouts and buttons
- case formed to guide finger to the fingerprint sensor – a big plus
- can add screen protector
- case obscures access to the heart rate sensor – must remove case to use it
- some complaints about rough edges
- the raised lip at the top and bottom protect the screen when face down but may want to add screen protector for additional protection
- complaints about case peeling after short use
An attractively made case offered in several beautiful colors, the Legion has a lot of satisfied customers. Case has a good feel and a good look. Because the heart rate sensor is difficult to access, take a look at other case options if this feature is important to you.
Reports of the case peeling are disappointing but only a few buyers mention that issue. As with a number of cases for the S9+, you may want to add a screen protector to protect your investment.
As an Amazon Associate, BestCases earns from qualifying purchases.